Wednesday 20 August 2014

LRP sense and sensibilities

Heres an interesting debate for you, roleplay an sometimes cross the usual "politically correct" boundaries and conversations, when is this OK and where do we draw the boundary within roleplay? Let me play the devils advocate.

For example,
1)  I am playing a large fest style event, their are factions within it and cultures that might logically clash. I like to feel like the underdog and pick the culture that allows me to rebel against these societal constraints...but alas... most of the field seems terrified of upsetting anyone and tiptoe around me like peaceful hippies.

2) I am a woman and I want to play a fighter, it's a fantasy world and its quite fine and on-brief to be one. But I constantly get called on my "ability" and treated poorly.

3) I play a bit of a dandy and rogue, sometimes I get drunk and I like to get bawdy and grab some wenches in their lovely cleavage enhancing frocks.

4) I want to have an enormous and majestic cod-piece, but I am not allowed due to children being at the event.

5) I want to be able to put on a show of wrestling and fisticuffs, however I was too realistic and upset some parents.

6) I want to really let go and play a complete loon, unstable, scary, shouty and violent, but I have caused a fellow player to cry.

Personally I think some of these are unacceptable and some are OK. The main line I would draw is if my roleplaying would in any way spoil someone elses event rather than enhance it, but I do also regret the "easily offended" culture that seems to be developing. For instance why can't you portray a bare-knuckle fight for fear of children copying yet its fine for them to see battles? Surely you have already explained to them why the fighting is all pretend?

What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Number 4 gets me every time... so unfair! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! That the world should never know its majesty

      Delete
  2. My jaded take;
    1) Everything that turned me off LRP
    2) Fine, so long as women fighters are unusual in the universe you’re playing in. If you've just lazily brought that sexist crap over from the real world then have a hard look at yourself.
    3) Red card, unless its pre-arraigned.
    4) Utter bollox. My kids are pointing and laughing at your huge C@£k. Wear whatever you like.
    5) Jesus, really? Is LRP that dumbed-down now?
    6) The one closest to my heart. This behavior should be encouraged.

    Steve N

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5, yes sadly. Really happened. Part of the culture that doesn't take responsibility for themselves or their own kids I guess. If your kid cannot grasp its pretend I don't think you should have brought them on the field. 1) happens still today to an even greater extent, groups that are prepared to be ass-hats as foils for rp are quite rare.

    ReplyDelete