Thursday 28 August 2014

Camping: The Joys and Woes



So as a live roleplayer you have to get used to camping. In the UK that can come with it's advantages and some serious woes too.
 
  • It's taken me about 20 years to finally get a comfortable bed.
  • I have broken a tent every 2 years on average.
  • I have suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous weather. Drowning, freezing, baking, knee deep in mud, getting blown away. I think I only need to survive a plague of frogs now and I have covered most weather.
  • I have tried camping in-character and outside like a proper ranger...but then I had the thermal super powers of youth.
  • I have tried in character camps. (Noisy at night and I end up wanting to kill my camp-mates)
  • I have had both tiny pop up "condensation tunnel" tents all the way through to huge tents.
  • I have crammed 4 people and all their kit into a Polo in the past, but still cant fit me and my partners stuff in a Berlingo these days.
  • Oh and I forget a pillow at least once in every 3 trips.
  • I nearly always have a snorer within earshot of my tent.
  • I have experienced all kinds of toilets from stinking portaloos eye height in mud (well you HOPE it's mud) to delightful soil toilets, and not so delightful ones...
 
Uhrmm OK I just realised those are mostly woes.
But the joys are for me - those fireside evenings, no alarm wakeups and the freedom to make merry.
What's your take on how to camp at LRP events?

1 comment:

  1. There is a certain appeal to camping in character. It does come with two donsides as I see it. 1 there;s the buy in, you kind of need to commit and that means financially when it comes to a tent and accoutrements. 2. If you're not used to sleeping that way, you're more likely to 'suffer' if you don't get it right. 24 hours larping can be awesome, however, not everyone wants to or can stay up all night for days in a row, so having an option to sleep 'away' from the game if need be is certainly an attractive option for many, certainly those of us of a 'certain' age

    ReplyDelete